I am a warrior wife.
It took me a year and a half of marriage to figure out what that really means. And it all occurred to me during girl talk on the way to church with my kindred-spirit Jennifer. She's the only one who really GETS my crazy love and passion for the game of baseball. She is a warrior wife too, in everything meaning of the word.
She said it so matter-of-factly. "Baseball is #1. He's gonna tell you, you are number one. But you and I both know, we're not. And that's ok."
A baseball coach eats and breathes baseball. And so must his wife. I think I had such a hard time with baseball/tax season last year, because I wanted to be number one - and there was just not enough time in the day for that. When I changed my attitude, and let baseball be #1, and supported Josh in all his goals, passions, and aspirations, all of sudden I started to feel like #1 again. It was that whole love-and-respect thing. He felt respected when I finally understood that he still loved me, even when he was at the field or on the phone with recruits all day. Being a baseball coach means sacrifice, and long hours, and little pay. And the most loving thing I can do for my husband is to get up and go to work every day, be in the stands as much as I can, and be understanding when he has to take the recruiting phone call at 11pm at night.
But it's not all sacrifice. It is moments like this weekend...when I'm gripping the seat in front of me, bases loaded, one out, in the bottom of the 13th inning against the #8 ranked NAIA team in the nation, and we're tied 3-3. And one of those Corban recruits Josh talked to at 11pm at night smashes the ball to deep right center for the game-winning hit.... it's all worth it. Jennifer and I fist pound and agree, we could spend EVERY DAY at the baseball field.
When Josh is a coach of a D-1 program or an MLB team one day, and someone is willing to pay money to hear our story, I'll tell them, it all started right here.

No comments:
Post a Comment